Bofort ISO cryogenic tank loading at Fluxys
Fluxys Belgium SA as owner and operator markets all capacity in the gas transmission system as well as the Loenhout storage facility in Belgium.
LNG (UN1972) and LNG ISO Tank Rental
Liquefied natural gas (LNG) is natural gas (predominantly methane, CH4, with some mixture of ethane C2H6f) that has been converted to liquid form for ease of storage or transport. It takes up about 1/600th the volume of natural gas in the gaseous state. It is odorless, colorless, non-toxic and non-corrosive. Hazards include flammability after vaporization into a gaseous state, freezing and asphyxia.
The liquefaction process involves removal of certain components, such as dust, acid gases, helium, water, and heavy hydrocarbons, which could cause difficulty downstream. The natural gas is then condensed into a liquid at close to atmospheric pressure by cooling it to approximately −162 °C (−260 °F); maximum transport pressure is set at around 25 kPa (4 psi).A typical LNG process.
The gas is first extracted and transported to a processing plant where it is purified by removing any condensates such as water, oil, mud, as well as other gases such as CO2 and H2S.
An LNG process train will also typically be designed to remove trace amounts of mercury from the gas stream to prevent mercury amalgamizing with aluminium in the cryogenic heat exchangers. The gas is then cooled down in stages until it is liquefied. LNG is finally stored in cryogenic tank containers and can be loaded and shipped.
LNG achieves a higher reduction in volume than compressed natural gas (CNG) so that the (volumetric) energy density of LNG is 2.4 times greater than that of CNG or 60 percent that of diesel fuel. This makes LNG cost efficient to transport over long distances where pipelines do not exist. Specially designed cryogenic sea vessels (LNG carriers) or Bofort ISO Containers are used for its transport.
LNG has a low carbon footprint and very low emissions compared to other fossil fuels. It can also offer significant cost benefits for fuel usage.
LNG is principally used for transporting natural gas to markets, where it is regassified and distributed as pipeline natural gas.
It can be used in natural gas vehicles, although it is more common to design vehicles to use compressed natural gas. Its relatively high cost of production and the need to store it in expensive cryogenic tanks have hindered widespread commercial use.
Despite these drawbacks, on energy basis LNG production is expected to hit 10% of the global crude production by 2020
LNG Tank Rental
Bofort has substantial expertise serving the LNG market. Our tanks have been deployed around the world to provide –
LNG cooldown of storage facilities
milk run distribution for serving filling stations
mobile fuel stations
We work with our customers to ensure our tanks can meet the often complex technical requirements of unloading. Ship bunkering or marine refuelling is a rapidly growing application for LNG requiring detailed project management. Our tanks are fitted with pressure build up units which can be augmented by additional skid mounted PBUs to meet the challenges of unloading with sufficient differential pressure.
We also have expertise in fitting LNG pumps and metering to our tanks to allow them to be used to fill small scale LNG facilities. Our tanks also have PED / CE – approval allowing them to be used for storage.
We can fit couplings and obtain approvals that allow our tanks to be loaded at major LNG facilities.
Our tanks regularly visit. Fluxys Terminal in Belgium, Gate Terminal in Holland, and Isle of Grain in the U.K.
Link to gate terminal
Home | Gate
Gate terminal bouwt eerste LNG-importterminal in Nederland met toegang tot Noordwest-Europa.
Link to Isle of Grain terminal
Home – National Grid Grain LNG
Given the evolving market situation, Grain LNG is delighted to be able to offer up to 8 mtpa of cost effective capacity to the market. Interested parties are invited to register their interest to particpate in our Open Season.
LNG, Tank rental /Cryogenic ISO tank containers :
- Safety: tanks are built to highest international safety standards and imply with all international regulations; they are the safest means to transport specific quantities of cryogenic gases in bulk.
- Intermodal: suitable to be carried using all modes of transportation: truck, train, barge, ship
- Ecological: given their suitability for intermodal transportation, distribution of gases in bulk over medium and long distances can be done by environmentally-friendly means, such as rail, barge and short-sea.
- Intermediate storage: with holding times of up to over 100 days (depending on the type of gas and climate conditions), tank containers offer flexibility to transport and store gases in the supply-chain as ‘moving pipelines’, mobile buffer tanks for large industrial cleaning and maintenance jobs, pipe purging, etc.
- Economic: as a result of the features listed above, cryogenic tank containers often result in optimization of the supply chain and monetary savings.
- LNG Tank rental/Cryogenic ISO tank container rental- short-term rental: Bofort keeps a stock of tanks at designated depots to cover short-term needs in the market. Rental periods: 1 week to 6 months.
- LNG Tank rental/ Cryogenic ISO tank container – operating leasing: medium and long-term operating lease structures are offered to those clients looking for operational and financial flexibility.
- LNG Tank rental/Cryogenic ISO tank container – finance : tailor-made finance lease structures are offered on selected cryogenic tank equipment, with a view to accommodating clients’ specific capital structure needs and requirements.
- Cryogenic handling equipment rental and finance: in conjunction with its cryogenic tank container rental and leasing services Bofort advises in, and arranges lease structures for, specialist cryogenic equipment such as vaporizers and pumps
- Bofort offers its services for the management of your tank container fleet and may act as your agent or representative in the acquisition and disposal of your tank containers.